13.9 C
London
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
£1 = 0.00RON / €inf / $0.00

Sa mai bem un paharel/sa ne veselim nitel

Discussion in 'SEZATOARE' started by dromaderu, Aug 5, 2011.

1. dromaderu

dromaderu Active Member

Hai ca deja m-ai facut curios acu'... -asa-asa-
    Citisem ceva cand ai postat prima oara si, desi in Ro fusesem mare amator de rom (eventual scufundat intr-o halba de bere... -bravo- -bravo- -bravo- pentru cine cunoaste)
    aici nu am gasit nimic care sa egaleze gustul ,
    dar, voi achizitiona si eu ceva din ce lauzi tu acolo, sa vedem,
    daca ma scoate din pasiunea mea pt malt!
    Mutumim de idei!

2. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    Trebuie neaparat incercat... -nu-ma-uit-

[​IMG]

3. catad

catad Active Member

de unde si cat ai dat pe ron zacapa asta? nu de alta, dar arata f bine. :)

4. dromaderu

dromaderu Active Member

5. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    De obicei folosesc http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com ... serviciu prompt si serios, bautura de cea mai buna calitate ...in plus, gasesti aproape tot ce iti doresti...whisky, rom, vodca, liqueurs, etc.
    Au si un shop in London... Vinopolis, 1 Bank End, SE1 9BU...gasesti aproape orice bautura din lumea asta care se merita bauta -nu-ma-uit-

6. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    Au ajuns! -ras2-

Cate o mica descriere zilele urmatoare... -nu-ma-uit-

[​IMG]

7. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Cognac Pierre Ferrand starts where many other cognac houses stop. -bravo-

Ca de obicei, o mica descriere gasita pe internet...

''
    Cognac Pierre Ferrand

Cognac Pierre Ferrand bills itself as the "1er Cru du Cognac", in part because it is located in the finest and highest designated vineyards in the heart of the Cognac AOC, but in even larger part because it sets its standards exceptionally high, striving to be a cognac for connoisseurs.

It succeeds.

Cognac Pierre Ferrand Ambre.

Ambre bears the designation of Grande Champagne Cognac, which requires a minimum of only two years in oak casks before blending and bottling. Even the highest granted designation of Cognac, XO or Napoleon, currently requires only 6 years maturation.

But here it's about the house style rather than a declaration of age. This is the standard bearer of the house of Pierre Ferrand. Cognac Pierre Ferrand starts where many other cognac houses stop.

Though it's not stated, Ambre is a 10 Year Cognac. And it is totally unlike all those “entry level” Cognacs you’ve had before.

This is mellow, rounded, richly aromatic, redolent of prunes and apricots and peaches…and surprisingly little wood, for the wood here is transmuted into light spicy cinnamon and vanillin, and fully integrated into the flavor profile. As the aromas develop, there’s a distinct floral note that emerges, the soft scent of roses. With another nose of the cognac there is the mouth-watering scent of fresh fruit pastries baking, with a wisp of almond paste or marzipan.”

Unlike lesser cognacs, there’s no hot scalding burn of alcohol intruding, no rough edges, and no harshness---just gentle, mellow aroma and flavor that seems to go on forever, with each sip yielding more nuance as it trickles slowly down the throat.

This is superb cognac. Simply superb, and as good as it gets for for an ‘entry level’. Pierre Ferrand's softer, fruitier, spicier style harkens back to the time before phylloxera devastated the vineyards, in the 1800s, when cognac was much more than simply a post-prandial sip and was served in many more ways and at many more occasions---as much a cocktail as a digestif. With cognac this good, that's an understandable approach.
    ''

8. catad

catad Active Member

zi mai bine de romul ala guyana. :)

9. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    Guyana Rum 2001

Ochioasa sticla, o idee prea puternic (46%), bun, dar nu unul din preferatele mele...

Ceva ce am gasit pe internet...nu am gasit nimic de anul 2001...doar o descriere de 1995.

''
    Review: Renegade Rum Guyana UITVLUGHT 1995 (85/100)

Review by Chip Dykstra (Aka Arctic Wolf)

Renegade Rum Guyana UITVLUGHT was distilled at the Uitvlught Sugar Mill in Guyana (DDL), but finished and bottled at the Bruichladdich Distillery in Scotland. In Guyana it was aged in a bourbon cask for 12 years, and in Scotland it was finished in a white wine cask of Chateau Dyquem.

In the Bottle: (5.0/5)

I think Renegade Rums have by far the nicest decanter in the business. The look includes a high density cork which gives a nice ‘pop’ when I open the bottle.

In the Glass (8.0/10)

A strange aroma drifts up from the glass. It smells very muted and medicinal. The Chateau Dyquem seems to be dominant actually drowning the normal scents and aroma I expect from rum.

In the Mouth (52.0/60)

I am glad I tasted this five times before I reviewed it as it gets better with each tasting. I will warn you that the flavour is unlike any rum I have tasted previously. At first, all I can taste is this strange mixture of dry white wine and Edradour Scotch. But as it sits in my mouth the sweet rum notes start to come through in spades. This drink really has to sit in the glass at room temperature and be allowed to decant to achieve its full spectrum of flavour. Unfortunately the White Wine enhancement dominates rather than compliments.

In the Throat (12.0/15)

The rum notes finally gush through the wine and scotch completely. Nice.

The Afterburn (8.0/10)

This is so unique and yet so much unlike rum that it is hard to quantify. I found I would rather partake in a more traditional rum when I wanted rum, or a straight scotch when I wanted scotch. I think the combination might grow on a person although it has not grown on me. The taste of the Chateau Dyquem cask enhancement tends to add confusion to the palate rather than harmony.
    ''

[​IMG]

10. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Rom Angostura 1919

''
    Excellent presentation; a rich, complex and smooth experience that reminds you why premium rums exist at all and makes for a good gift for aficionados.

Somewhere in the midst of an alcoholic haze left by the last gathering of the Gentlemen of Liquorature, I had this vague memory of drinking quite a superlative little sipper. Pat had, of course, been quite miffed when I wrote the review of the Bacardi 8, since he had wanted to surprise me with something I hadn’t had before – but he got me on the rebound with this one. Fortunately, my tasting notes survive the bender, and once I sobered up and remembered my name, I dug them out for this review.

Angostura is that Trini distillery that now makes the excellent Zaya (Diageo, via its shareholding in Moet Hennessy, now owns the Zaya brand, but I’m unclear whether they own the distillery as well, though the Angostura holding company seems to have interests in quite a few). They have been making blended rums since the early part of the 20th century (1947, according to them). At that time Bacardi owned some 45% of the stock, which it held until 1997 when CL Financial – the largest T&T conglomerate with fingers in dozens of pies – bought the shares.

I don’t as a general rule make a comment on the bottle, but in this case I’m happy to make an exception: Angostura, home of the bitters and the Royal Oak, have poured the 1919 variation into a short, squat, square bottle with rounded shoulder and a massive, voluptuous cork. Its excellence is more in the simplicity than anything overt…I had the same feeling about the English Harbour 10 year old.

The 1919 is a blend of rums aged a minimum of 8 years – both bottle and the company website makes this claim – in charred oak barrels which were previously used to age bourbon whiskey. It’s a golden brown liquid, quite clear, somewhat reminiscent of the Havana Club Barrel Proof and has that same brilliant hue when the sunlight hits it.

On the nose, there is surprisingly little spirit burn. There’s a mellow billowing scent when the bottle is opened, in which the smooth odours of caramel, vanilla and flowers balance well and softly together. There is a richness to the nose that is quite unexpected, and it promises an excellent drink. Sipping it is a uniformly pleasant experience: I don’t usually expect too much from younger Single Digit Rums, though those greater than seven years are usually pretty decent mixers (the Flor de Cana 7 yr old is a perfect example): this one, it must be said, is an exception. As a ground level sipper, it’s bloody good, perhaps a slightly less sweet version of the Captain Morgan Private Stock at about the same price, but equally smooth, equally tasty.

The feel in the mouth is warm and silky rather than harsh, and after letting it breath you get flavours of buttery caramel, vanilla and molasses, but not too much of any one: in fact, the 1919 is remarkably restrained and well balanced among these primaries. Coiling subtly around this backbone are some fruity and softer floral hints that I can’t quite identify but that enhance the central notes excellently. The texture is slightly viscous and smooth as all get-out. And the finish is long, warm and spicy, with the faintest hint of sharpness that seems to be there just to remind you this is not the best Angostura wants to give (that might be the 1824 rum).

All in all, for a rum that costs in the forty dollar range, I’m impressed. For all its relatively youth, it scores highly in all the right areas: presentation, nose, flavour profile, mouthfeel and finish. It is equally good as a mixer or as a sipper, again very much like the Captain Morgan Private Stock. And what it lacks in the complexity and sheer brilliance of the older premium rums (like the English Harbour 25, Appleton 30 or the El Dorado 25 and 21), it makes up for by being, quite simply, one of the best low cost rums out there, one which the average Tom, Dick or Harrilall can afford, and enjoy.
    ''

11. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    El Dorado Rum 12 yo -bravo-

[​IMG]

'' Review: El Dorado 12 Year Old Special Reserve Rum (93.5pts)
    a review by Chip Dykstra (Aka Arctic Wolf)
    Revised November, 2012

Demerara County (in Guyana) is popular across the world for its rich, three hundred year history of rum production. Using a combination of old wooden stills in conjunction with modern stills and distilling techniques, Demerara Distillers Ltd. (DDL) has built a reputation for outstanding quality and consistent production. In fact, Demerara Distillers is the currently the largest supplier of bulk Caribbean rums to Europe and North America.

The El Dorado 12 Year Old Special Reserve Rum is blended from aged stocks (the youngest being no less than 12 years old) from the original Wooden Enmore Coffey still, the original metal Diamond Coffey still, as well as from the ancient Port Mourant double wooden pot still which was used to produce ‘navy’ rum for the English Admiralty. All of the Demerara Rum produced by El Dorado is aged exclusively in American oak (bourbon barrels).

In The Bottle 5/5

The presentation for the 12 yr, the 15 yr and the 21 yr old El Dorado Rums includes a squat smokey opaque brown bottle which has a funky old world charm and which looks great on my rum shelf. I like the fact that each rum in the series arrives in a smartly coloured display box which helps to protect the spirit from the deleterious effects of light. Finally each is closed with a quality cork topper which for me is the final requirement for a quality presentation.

In the Glass 9.5/10

This really is a great rum to nose in the glass. Oak and wood spices provide a nice backdrop for the sweet baking spices (vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves) and rich molasses that rises into the breezes above the glass. There are hints of spicy orange peel, and fresh citrus fruit which appear and disappear within the aroma, and I have a hard time finding fault. All of theses scents and smells deepen as the glass sits. I smell rich tobacco, marzipan and hints of marmalade which have all evolved as the rum breathes. I am tempted to give a perfect score.

In My mouth 56/60

This rum enters my mouth with a spicy sweet baking spice explosion. Deep dark brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves and hints of orange peel and citrus fruit lay upon a foundation of oak and wood spices. Rich tobacco accents the flavour and some luscious dark fruit (dates and raisins) finds its way into the flavour profile. The overall flavour is sweet but not overwhelmingly so, and a soft nuttiness lies under the other flavours giving the rum just a hint of bitterness which offsets that sweetness nicely.

What I truly love about this rum is how I seem to like it just a little more every time I pour another glass. The flavours remain rich and strong but never cloying.

In My Throat 14/15

This has a long spicy finish which leaves the mouth and throat heated. The spicy oak, and baking spices last and last in the mouth and throat in a marvelous combination.

]
    The Afterburn 9/10

I have tried this rum in many settings and in many different cocktails, and it pleases me almost completely every time. I find that the sweetness of the rum is perfectly balanced with the spicy oakiness and I also appreciate that the flavour of the El Dorado 12 Year Old remains robust and complex yet very approachable. ''

12. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
  13. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Trebuie sa-l incercati!! Superb!!! -bravo-

''Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva (97 pts/100)
    Review by Chip Dykstra (Aka) Arctic Wolf

I was invited by the guys (and gals) at Riverbend Wine Merchants (Vines) to be the guest host for their “Discovering the Finer Side of Rum” Tasting event ( held this past February 13). One of the perks for being the host was that I was allowed to select the rums for the tasting. Based upon my love for this particular Venezuelan rum, it was pretty much a ‘no-brainer’ that Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva be part of the mix. Since I was allowed to take the ‘heels’ of each of the bottles home with me after the event, it seemed natural to me that I should revisit my original review for this outstanding rum, which is a Venezuelan Rum produced by Distilerias Unidas, S.A..

History:

In the late 1950s, the main companies involved in the production and distribution of alcoholic spirits in Venezuela were grouped into one organization called Licorerias Unitas S.A. by the initiative of Seagrams who owned 51 % of the new entity until 1992. After a series of mergers and acquisitions involving Seagrams, Diageo, and Pernod Richard, a decision was made to divest in facilities and to instead concentrate on brand commercialization. The result was a group of local investors who purchased the manufacturing assets of Licorerias Unitas S.A. and formed Distilleries Unitas S.A. (DUSA) on August 22, 2002. Although this company is relatively new, the tradition of making quality rum in Venezuela using the these facilities which is not. In fact sugar cane has been cultivated in Venezuela perhaps as early as the 16th century. Systematic rum production in Venezuela can be dated to 1896.

According to the Distilleries Unitas S.A. (DUSA) website, the rum they produce is distilled from “honeys derived from sugar cane” and fermented molasses. All of the stills and distillation kettles are made from copper. The website also makes it clear that flavouring and aromatic agents are used in the production of their rum, as this statement on the website attests:

“Only high purity distilled alcohols and rich aromas and flavours are used to manufacture rums…”

I have no objection to the use of flavouring agents in rum, as this is a tradition which dates back to the very origins of rum distillation and production. In fact, this practice is recognized in the regulations which govern what can legally be called rum in both Canada and the United States. (See What is Rum?) My feeling when completing a review is that the spirit should be judged in the bottle rather than prejudged by what I believe should be in the bottle.

The Review:

The Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva is a premium rum which is produced from both column still rums and pot still rum. Within the blend are rums which are aged up to 12 years. The combination of tropical aging, batch still production, and those rich aromas and flavours which I mentioned above yields an exquisite rum which has long been one of my favourites:

In the Bottle 5/5

I really like the green canister which houses the rum and the nice green bottle which displays the rum. The ‘postage stamp’ label is original, and the corked top makes this perfect.

In the Glass (9.5/10)

The Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva has a stupendous bouquet. The smells and aromas coming from the glass are so rich and luxurious that I can hardly keep it from my mouth. I detect a good dose of caramel with nice hints of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and walnuts. The rum displays a nice soft oil on the sides of the glass when I tilt and twirl it indicating that the rum should have long finish as well.

In the Mouth (58/60)

All the scents and smells from the nosing come through in spades when I taste the rum. There is a nice underlying nuttiness (walnuts and hazelnuts), some sweet caramel and some very delicious baking spices (vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar). As the glass breathes, The richness of the rum builds and I taste even more brown sugar and cinnamon with butter. Mmmmm!

One of my very first rums I reviewed was Ron Zacapa 23 Anos. I find that this rum has a lot of similar components although in my view, the Diplomatico Exclusiva is just a bit sweeter, and just a bit richer. The only detraction is a tiny bit of burnt caramel at the very back of the palate.

In the Throat (14.5/15)

What a nice finish. My throat is coated with caramel, cocoa and the nuttiness of walnuts. However, this is not so sweet that the finish could ever become cloying.

The Afterburn (10/10)

This is so good! At that tasting event I mentioned at the beginning of the review, the Diplomatico Exclusiva was the stand out rum. When I polled the 34 persons in the room as to which was their favourite rum of the evening fully one half of the rum lovers present chose the Exclusiva (17 out of 34 persons). About one half of those remaining chose it as the second favourite rum of the evening making this by far the most popular rum at the tasting. This is definitely a favourite of mine for sipping and for mixing, and still two years after my original review, still one of the best rums I have tasted.''

14. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum -bravo-

'' Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum is the Maltese Falcon of rums - classic, rare, and perhaps even worth a pricey expedition to find.

For starters, the presentation could scarcely be more elegant: a champagne bottle of dark green frosted glass, individually hand numbered, a simple label encircled with a metal band, cork-topped and dipped in thick black wax (the black seal).

Gosling's infinitely more attainable - in price and availability - Black Seal is a standard favorite of mine for mixed drinks, but Family Reserve takes the same robust blend to an entirely new plateau.
    Sturdy, leggy, and deep, dark brown - few rums present with such immediate authority.

The aroma is semi-sweet caramel, vanilla, oak, and a soft hint of prunes and dried stone fruits.

Tastes are ranging and complex: caramel, molasses, and smoke are first to present, followed interchangeably by baked apples, roasted nuts, vanilla, tobacco, wood, cherries, spice...

A velvety yet deceiving smoothness wraps around your tongue and still finds a way to softly kick on its way down - as a proper rum should. Mixing this rum with anything whatsoever would be a travesty; even ice should be avoided as enjoying it warm in a snifter is the only way to appreciate this wonderfully nuanced experience. ''

15. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Remy Martin Coeur de Cognac -ras2-

'' Coeur de Cognac is intended to be as enjoyably fruity as that first bite into a luscious peach. A great cognac from Rémy Martin.

The nose is fresh and ripe with notes of rich fruit, marmalade, ground ginger, peels, a little winter spice and cocoa. The palate is round and smooth with notes of fresh, ripe fruits and peels. The finish is medium and very smooth. ''

16. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Chateau du Tariquet XO

'' A superb Bas-Armagnac from Château du Tariquet, this was aged for between 10 to 12 years.

Baco and Ugni Blanc grape varieties are typical of the region of Bas Armagnac which produce brandies that age well. Chateau du Tariquet X.O. is aged for between ten and twelve years in charred oak casks before bottling. This ageing in casks imparts the toasted flavours so typical of this style of Armagnac.

It is the most ancient and honoured wine spirit of France. During the XVIthe century, it was sold in pharmacies as 'medicine'. Since 1683 the Chateau du Tariquet and its vineyards have produced one of the greatest Armagnacs of the region.

The nose is rich and fresh with notes of pastries, peels and rich fruit. The palate is chewy and rounded with notes of vanilla spice, toasty oak, fresh fruits, candied peels. The finish is toasty and chewy. ''

17. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Darnley's View Gin

'' Another gin has generously winged its way to my door recently; Darnley’s View. In a striking flash of serendipity, I went to Scotland recently to watch the England-Scotland rugby match and tried to get hold of a bottle, but between poor stocks at the airport and a crammed social calendar, I failed in this mission. So, I was delighted to be contacted to ask if I would like a bottle. As is my usual stance, this isn’t going to win any favours or favourable reviews.

Another gin from Scotland, Darnley’s View Gin is from the stable of the Wemyss Family, usually better known for their malt whiskies.

The story goes that this gin is inspired by the moment that Mary Queen of Scots spied her future husband, Lord Darnley, through a window of the Wemyss ancestral home, Wemyss Castle. The literature that came with the bottle romanticises this event and triumphs their union as producing the future King of both England and Scotland, James (I of England and VI of Scotland). Like their gin which unites the best of Scottish and English gins, James unified the thrones of these two countries.

However, what the literature doesn’t say is that Darnley became arrogant and paranoid; he developed a jealousy of Mary’s private secretary, David Rizzio, which culminated in him murdering the poor chap in front of a pregnant, and somewhat aghast Mary. The meeting, marriage and murder spanned a mere 13 months. It is thought that Mary then had the Earl of Bothwell kill Darnley, two years to the month since she fist laid eyes on him. Mary Married Lord Bothwell later that year and suffered a string of tragedies and humiliations, culminating in her botched execution in 1587.

Anyway, enough of the history lesson, I dropped a bit of an unexplained clanger a few paragraphs back; a gin that unites the best of Scottish and English gins? Well, Darnley’s View is a London dry gin, produced by a Scottish firm, the distillation of which is contracted out to Thames distillery, in London. A cynic might say that this is a purely a London gin with a Scottish label, but the there is a distinctive “Scottishness” about this gin; but more on that later.

Darnley's View Gin

The bottle is beautifully presented; an elegant white label with sparse black print and a red accent-logo adorns heavy-bottomed, round-shouldered glassware. The Bottle tapers in from the shoulder, much like a cocktail shaker. The stopper is cork with a wooden top (beech?) and it is sealed with heavy foil. Predictably, the opening experience was pleasing.

The botanical list of Darnley’s View is fairly short; in fact, refreshingly short at only six botanicals.
    •Juniper
    •Coriander Seed
    •Lemon Peel
    •Angelica Root
    •Orris Root
    •Elderflower

Elderflower seems to be a fairly popular botanical, making an appearance in a few gins from Scotland as well as in several from farther afield; it offers sweetness, fruitiness and floral notes all in one neat hit and is native to the UK.

The aroma of Darnley’s View is gentle and sweet. There is juniper there, but it is mild and the smell of alcohol is present. Its scent is somewhat understated.

Sampled neat, Darnley’s View is sweet, spicy and floral with a quite long, dry finish. It’s smooth and that alcoholic twang is well contained – a testament to its pentuple-distillation, no doubt.

In a G&T, Darnley’s View is a blinding mix (in a good way, not a Ginebra San Miguel way). The juniper is gently assertive – smooth and gentle, but certainly not taking a back-seat. The attack is sweet, fruity and floral with just a hint of that delightful lychee flavour that is carried by Elderflower. This quickly mellows to a warm, dry and spicy finish. The bite is there, but like the juniper, it is gentle but firm.

The ratio recommended for this gin is 2:1, but to my mind, this is too cloying; the sweetness of the neat gin is overbearing and the Fever-Tree tonic is swamped. In a 3:1 ratio, the sweetness of the gin and bitterness of the tonic water balance nicely. I would encourage anyone to have a play and find their own sweet-spot.

Another note about getting the most out of a Darnley’s View G&T is, that like Sipsmith, it is completed by lime. Whether this is to balance that sweetness or whether the gin demonstrates a dearth of citrus is probably up for debate. Either way, lime makes the G&T.

Its price-point is about right (around £23) and it has a softness that is common to many Scottish gins – whereas the more traditional London Dry gins are forthright, bold and dry, Scottish gins seem to have a sightly softer countenance about them. It’s an easy drinking gin (both in flavour and strength – 40%) without meandering too close to that wishy-washy vodka-gin categorisation.

All-in-all Darnley’s View is a very pleasing gin and one I will hunt-down again. ''

18. Dio

Dio Member

Adicri, felicitari ptr materialele de pe tematica de fata... foarte la obiect si documentate...

Promit sa revin si eu cu cate ceva in viitorul apropiat, in functie de ceea ce imi va permite timpul si dispozitia...

19. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    Dio, please join in! Ma lupt singur se pare cu toate sticlele astea... -nu-ma-uit-

20. adicri

adicri Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Dalwhinnie 15 yo -ras2-

'' A great malt which Jim Murray awarded 95 points in his Whisky Bible, this is excellent value for money. The flavours are simple, but flawless, a clean, crisp 15 year old from the Dalwhinnie distillery, also part of Diageo's Classic Malts range.

Dalwhinnie 15 year old is a reasonably priced single malt that anyone would be hard pressed to find offensive. Everybody seems to like it. It's a very safe bet when you need to buy a single malt as a gift for someone. It's not composed of over the top peat and smoke flavors. It is also not rough, bitter, or a challenge to like or drink.

Nose (undiluted)

Lemon, orange rind, and pomegranate.

Palate (undiluted)

Smooth entry of honey, some peat, cocoa, a little milk chocolate and malty flavors that shine through at the mid-palate. My initial impression is that this is a sweet whisky. Makes for a great after dinner drink. Maybe with a dessert.

Whenever I encounter the flavor profile of Dalwhinnie, the best word to describe a unique aspect of the flavor profile at mid-palate is the word 'heather.' I hate to use a term that I cannot define well. Who eats heather? What does it taste like? Heather is a common, low-lying shrub that goes by the latin name of "Calluna vulgaris." Wikipedia states that it has a characteristic strong taste. Bee hives located near bogs or moorland containing heather tend to produce a much stronger variety of honey. So, when I use the term 'heather' think of it as that taste you experience of the other flavors on steroids so to speak. "Heather honey" is stronger than ordinary honey.

In any event, the heather works beautifully with the honey, cinammon, cocoa, coffee and other flavors (ie. oak) in this Highland malt.

Finish (undiluted)

Soft smoke makes an introduction with a tinge of peat. The 'heather honey' lingers giving a little pleasant kick to the flavor ensemble. In the midst of this punched up honey is some Kosher pretzel. The kosher salt flavors are close to and almost transition into fresh ground black pepper that lingers after the dram is swallowed. Hmmm . . . good!

General Impressions

Tasted neat, it's a single malt scotch that starts out silky but quickly develops very rich honey glavors. Nothing bitter or too robust that will put off the novice drinkers.

Dalwhinnie also delivers 'some' complexity of flavor that will set it apart from others. I say 'some' because it is not overly so. While you can detect some complexity when tasted neat, try it with a 1/4 teaspoon of water. The water gives more complexity that is otherwise hidden.

I recommend this as a great gift to all those who want an inoffensive, yet interesting Highland single malt.

Cheers! ''