18.9 C
London
Wednesday, June 16, 2021
£1 = 0.00RON / €inf / $0.00

romanian Kids in UK in School

Discussion in 'ENGLISH' started by thrifty, Oct 20, 2007.

1. thrifty

thrifty New Member

We really need some help has anyone got experience of placing a romanian kid in school in uk thanks..we will be there in november december and we have a school place but want to know more about how they adjust to life thee thanks....she is relectant to speak english which is a real concern,she understands but dosnt want to speak any advice would be welcomed cheers..

2. cata246

cata246 New Member

depend how much old is the child,in first place,you can get a teacher for special needs,as we got for our two children,will not speak romanian probably,but will help a lot,as very competent in working with children of other spoken language.As an advise,don't persuade too much the child now,when still there to speak english,if doesn't really want,as may get into hating the english language.Good luck!!

3. thrifty

thrifty New Member

thanks for the advice i hope she will accept it when she is there easier...its more specific now as i would like to know specific if anyone has had the same experience as us so we can learn from it more thanks again...multumesc mult

4. splash

splash Member

My daughter was 11 when she came here. She was accepted in year 6 (depends on DOB) although in Romania she was supposed to be in year 5. It was hard at the beginning to understand english, but now after 2 years she got alot better at speaking english.The work in Year 6 here is similar to Year 4 in Romania, so all she needs is to listen and talk more often.If you want more details or if she wants to speak with my daughter, you can send me a PM. -wave-

5. simo

simo New Member

Hi,

Where are you now?

Our son is 4 and he started school this September. He came to live with us in July and he did not speak english before at all but he still managed to learn all the letters and he found his own way to communicate with others. Starting from the middle of October he speaks english when he is playing alone at home.
    I was so worried about him in July but now I am feeling better as he enjoy to go to school and to engage himself in playing with other children.

I hope this help.

6. cata246

cata246 New Member

I don't think someone needs to worry at all.
    Here kids are not being pushed to learn in that kind of competition which used to be,and probably still is,in Romania.
    Their eventual skills or knowledges in whatever direction are encouraged.NO CORUPTION,and I'm talking about those "presents" for theachers,every single YEAR.

7. miu

miu New Member

The biggest issue is not the way the child will be able to learn or not but if the child will be bullied.
    I speak from experience. When we first come to UK we were based in Cambridge. We were foolish enough to think that we have reached the tops of the civilization; very soon we came down to earth with a big bang. Our son was enrolled in one of the best state schools in Cambridge with a very favorable Offsted report on the internet. The first week was almost ok, small bullying which we thought will die out in few weeks. That was not the case, the bullying increased from nice English phrases like: "Romanian rat go back into your hole from Romania" to serious actions like attacking him during the classes (I don't know what the teachers where doing all this time!?!) and, finally, on the street.
    At that point I have decided that I don't want to raise him anymore in this civilized country and that he would be safer in our less civilized Romania. Meanwhile he grew up and now he is more confident and perfectly capable to protect himself.

With all the bad publicity we have right now I don't think the things will be quite easy for a Romanian child to enter into an English school, especially in a state school. My son has already told me that his colleagues have made some jokes regarding the treatment of the Romanians in Italy.

8. simo

simo New Member

miu,
    I agree with what are you saying.
    I am worried about this, I always was. My son is too young and he can not express himself at school. I have been to talk to his teacher about what you said. She told me that today my son told her that he had been hit by a boy and he was unable to tell her the name or to describe him. She said that she will keep an eye on him.
    The point is that these days children are bullied all the time and in all schools.

9. miu

miu New Member

Simo,
    It is true that bullying has become something that you expect to encounter in every school. But it shouldn't be like that.
    I don't accept this kind of attitude and whenever I get the chance I speak against it.
    Bullying shouldn't become the second nature, shouldn't be taken for granted.
    If your child doesn't know the name of the one who had hit him, he might be able to recognize him from a photo. The schools have plenty of photos with their pupils, so this shouldn't be difficult.
    It might be useful to speak with your son all the time and to encourage him to tell you what has happened at school. In this way you will be able to see if he is safe at school or not and your son will learn to trust you and will learn that you care and will do anything to protect him.

10. simo

simo New Member

miu,

I have tried to involve myself more in my son's activities in school so I spent a day in school with him and this helped me to see that he is doing fine at school and he does not feel himself as an outsider in his class. He is not trated different by his mates, more than that he became an informal leader in his group of friends.
    I am feeling better now when I know that he is ok.

11. miu

miu New Member

Simo,

This is very good news. It has given you peace of mind and in the same time has given to your child and the other children a strong signal that there is help at hand when needed.

-congrats- ongrats- -takecare- akecare-

12. thrifty

thrifty New Member

almost the same situatiuon? thanks i was worried, but she has settled in very well,in 2.5 months she has had good grades and won awards and no wunderstands good english and is confident to speak well too. in at the deep end as we english say seems to work well. we have just moved into norwich city and she will be on line so send pm if you wish for yahoo messenger chat with her..

13. danuzza81

danuzza81 New Member

14. danuzza81

danuzza81 New Member

simo

15. danuzza81

danuzza81 New Member

Buna la toata lumea ...sunt si eu cam in aceeasi situatie..baietelul meu de 4 ani a venit in anglia in septembrie ..si l-am inscris la nursery ..este deja de de 5 lini dar problema este ca nu prea ii place limba si cand vorbim cu el in engleza refuza subiectul ..nu pot sa spun inca daca a prins cate ceva dar il mai auzim prin baie cantand cantecele invatate la gradinita , numara , spune culorile , stie animalele , fructele cred ca si intelege ce se vb dar el nu converseaza deloc si refuza cu inversunare orice dialog cu noi in engleza...mai este cineva intr-o situatie cat de cat similara ? are cineva sfaturi ? multumesc -aha- ha-

16. rebecca_uk

rebecca_uk Active Member

Home Page:
    Hi,
    I'm no expert, but have worked and still work with kids.
    To all parents who worry about their children not speaking English: Do not force it on them.
    Take your child to playgrounds, kids' clubs, find out whether they have English friends and invite those over, pay visits yourself with your child,
    buy your child books (attractive and full of coloured images) based on what they do in school/nursery-ask their teacher's advice- and games (puzzles, wordsearch,crosswords) played by 1 or 2 ), but don't ask him/her to do anything, just wait and see...curiosity works at this age and if children find it entertaining they'll come and ask for help.

17. alicestela

alicestela Member

Draga Danuzza 81

cumpara-i niste jucarii care cinta ,sunt ursuletii plusati care daca ii apesi urechea cinta un cintecel, daca il apesi pe picior , incepe alt cintecel. Incearca catalogul Argos.Eu lucrez in invatamint si aceeasi problema o au si polonezii.Dar daca copilul tau este mai sociabil va trece usor peste perioada asta. -ahaa- haa-
    Incearca sa-i cumperi un dvd, cum este shrek sau thomas the tank engine , sau sa-i pui cartoon network.Al meu baiat asa a invatat engleza, cu desene animate, scooby-doo si toate aceste caractere hazlii. -dance- ance-

18. spin

spin New Member

Voi scrie acest mesaj in lb. romana pt a fi sigura ca sunt bine inteleasa de catre toata lumea si pt ca este o masura administrativa si nu o contributie la discutia in sine.

Am observat ca unii membrii au ales sa discute pe acest subiect in lb. romana, desi subiectul a fost deschis la rubrica English si a fost inceput cu un post in lb. engleza.

Va rog sa reveniti la folosirea limbii ingleze atat timp cat postati pe un subiect aflat in categoria English.

Multumesc,

Spin, moderator

19. cata246

cata246 New Member

thrifty,welcome back on forum.
    Happy to learn that your daughter is doing well.
    About chatting with other kids,how on earth did you manage to open an account on yahoo for a child,as several attempts from me and my daughter failed,did follow all steps,but did not work.
    How far from Rugby/Coventry is Norwich?/Is that beer stil cold?

20. thrifty

thrifty New Member

re the yahoo thing all you have to do is make the account in her name but use your details such as date of birth????it seems to work for us but it was done in romania not uk..you can still set the safty preferences.and monitor the use of it..theres no law agasinst her having a yahoo account so i dont see how you had problems anyway -staycool- taycool-