7.1 C
London
Tuesday, May 18, 2021
£1 = 0.00RON / €inf / $0.00

Cultural Differences

Discussion in 'ENGLISH' started by brite.horizons, Mar 6, 2008.

1. brite.horizons

brite.horizons New Member

What have you found either unusual or interesting about the Romanian or UK culture--the one you are not originally from?
    I'll go first.
    When I first came to Romania I thought it was sweet that the mums would call their daughters "mommy." Then when I saw them call their SONS mommy I thought it was pretty "wierd". Then a Romanian friend of mine explained the concept to me and I understand it now. Recently I was talking with another friend and I explained to her how strange I thought that was at first and she couldn't understand what was strange about that--it was the most natural thing on earth!
    What about you?

2. panda

panda New Member

Hi

I am a Romanian settled in England some 17 years ago.

I always admired and wondered how English people seem to be the only nation in the world to form a perfect one man thick queue....

I wish we could have the same manners back home!

3. agnb

agnb New Member

hi

On the contrary. I think us, romanians, are better at forming queues than Italians, Spanish or Turks. I think the " manners" that you are referring to are due to our culture and not our up-bringing.
    I will shortly be posting what i feel about cultural diferences.

4. brite.horizons

I was silently marveling, while at a busy bank in Bucuresti, how there were 4 queues formed, very neatly, in front of 4 bank windows, with no lines or poles or even signs needed. Then my Bulgarian friend pointed out the same thing--how incredible it was that everyone was lined up so nicely!

5. brite.horizons

Something else that I really like about Romanians which is quite different from the British is that they will come up really close to you and talk to you--even if you are strangers. Often I will notice people carrying on conversations in public like they are best of friends when it turns out they don't even know each other--one just asked the other for directions. At times when I've asked someone for directions a small crowd has gathered, with everyone trying to help, and everyone talking to each other. Such a friendly, sociable atmosphere!

6. agnb

agnb New Member

Something that i can think of is, how different is the attitude of english people compared with the romanians' when you meet. In uk they smile at you whilst in romania they dont. My Brit mother in law- although admires romanians very much- thinks women look really grumpy and upset, nobody ever smiles and everybody is so blunt (not to say rude!).

I also hate the attitude of "men kissing other men" when they just say " Hi!" My english husband finds that creepy - and i dont blame him! what 's wrong with a simple hand shake???

7. andrada

andrada New Member

-hello- ello-
    Reding these lines i just started to smile and then when i finished I just ...laugh. Do u whant to now way? -eyebrows2- yebrows2-
    Because of the simple fact that we are 2 different nations but we also have some things in common like always whanthig to have a better life, acting as civilized as possible and bouth nations always whant to live in harmony with others or other nations....although we have our "bad people" who ruine our nation pride & image.
    Difference are 100000000 but the little differences are various and funny in the same time... -tamtam- amtam-
    One of wich is how British people eat they`re mashed potatoes with the fork up-side down....or how britsh people always do the thing today not tomorrow because they like to be prompt and rigorous...but romanian people will not do these things...:D Or another thing is the fact that british people are straight-forward with their feelings & opinions while the romanians want to spear you`re feelings! -shout- hout- wich sometimes is frustating couse u have to guess what are they talking about!
    I think I could find many more...:D...but I still like british people for who they are.
    -kiss- iss- -takecare- akecare-

8. andrada

andrada New Member

sorry for the bad spelling of the words but I`m a bit tired & I didn`t chek... -cmon- mon-

9. agnb

agnb New Member

....and because we are still at the subject of " differences" and the term " manners" was mentioned, yes, the differences are
    they eat properly- have table manners ( they don't grab items from the table, they ask for it, they dont start eating before everyone else, they wait, they drink water with every meal, and not to mention, they eat with knife and fork, and don't use their fork only to swallow the food like a primitive human).
    I think tha some romanians (and i observed this even in restaurants in romania) don't have table manners and I wished they did.
    I was exactly the same, until I learned to eat with knife and fork 15 years ago, Now i find it hard to see that some people still don't.
    Yum!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

- that's because everyone wants to make sure they minimize their waiting time as much as possible(to make sure nobody gets in front...)..This (ridiculous)competitiveness is what sets them apart from the rest...In the UK, the (not so smart)average brit will make sure that the smartest always get in front (to the leadership positions).. 'average gheorghe' will rather die (see the president)...

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how old are you? 17? 18?

12. agnb

agnb New Member

why is this relevant? I was not talking about me!
    Some romanians never learn to eat properly and even after living here for many years, they still dont have good manners at the table (they eat and chew like pigs)!
    This is not about me, its about cultural differences!

13. policeofficer

policeofficer New Member

agnb,

We all have good and bad days. It`s normal. I think today it`s not a great day for you. You are not in the mood at all. Hold your horses.

Si ... permiteti-mi sa vorbesc in romaneste... numai ca am observat ca ai lasat vreo 3-4 posturi astazi, si toate "taioase". Suntem oameni si intelegem cand unul mai are cate o zi mai naspa, dar nu cred ca trebuie sa vii aici si sa iti vesti veninul...sunt alte modalitati de a te relaxa.

Repet ... am tras concluzia asta dupa ce am citit toate posturile tale de azi, toate avand alura de "intepa" ca sa nu zic "impunge"

14. dud

dud New Member

Well done! -applause- pplause-

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you were the same 15 years ago... some people can't adapt and change as fast as you did.. culture has got nothing to do with manners.. this is about the environment you grow up in.. people coming from good romanian families have the same table manners that you have and people coming from poorer british families have exactly the same manners as the 'primitives' you've described..
    have you ever tried to change one? it'll feel much better than spitting out your frustration like this... maybe you've learned their table manners, but you've got a long way to go before you'll understand the true substance of the british culture..

...that was me spitting out my frustration over people like you...no offence..

16. alinutza

alinutza New Member

My husband was also amazed at this and only then I realised that it does sound strange seeing it from the other side.

What I found strange when i first came here was the way everybody calls you "dear, love, etc". I have to say initially I thought that man are a bit too straight forward then I got used to it.