14.3 C
London
Friday, June 05, 2020
£1 = 0.00RON / €inf / $0.00

british knowledge test for immigration purposes

Discussion in 'ENGLISH' started by thrifty, Oct 11, 2007.

1. thrifty

thrifty New Member

From 2nd April 2007, if you are applying for settlement in the United Kingdom you will need to demonstrate Knowledge of Life and Language in the UK (KOL), in addition to meeting the usual requirements for settlement.

and i am english...i read this stuff on the web as i want to get married to my romanian girlfriend when we come back so i spent a lot of time so far researching the legislation. the test its self is well how can i say,,,written by a bunch of jerks. even i cant answer some of the questions and i am an "educated english person" a lot of the questions are written by university students and they expect the average person to know the answer but in truth if all the uk population were to take the test my guess is over 70% would fail it -puke- sad to say but true enough...try a pub quiz you have more chance of winning...i would be curious to see the full test that someone has taken and try to answer all the questions in full..anyone got a copy they are willing to post for me to answer? no interest for me but i dont like the bureaucracy in the uk,thats why i left in the first place.

2. dst

dst Member

This test only applies if you are seeking naturalisation, not residency.

3. agnb

agnb New Member

no interest for me but i dont like the bureaucracy in the uk,thats why i left in the first place.

Do you really mean bureaucracy in UK ? You sure? have you lived in Romania ever? UK is heaven compared to how Ro works. Never mind that, yes, your girlfriend does not need to take the test, its only if you need to naturalise as Brit Cit, not for settlement. Dont worry, you dont need the manual, just yet.

Where will you get married? UK or Ro? Let me know and i will " steal" some advice from you. I am Rom and my fiancee Brit, i cant get married in Ro because i am no longer a resident - as i lived here for too long ( i am british too). That's only because the Ro bureaucracy.
    Never the less i love my country and i wont say anything bad about it.

4. thrifty

thrifty New Member

I have been here for 2 years in RO and things can be splaged to an extent, try to do that in the uk LOL
    marry in UK and we aint gonna want to stay there for sure for long maybe a few months to realise a bit more cash then its back here, back and forth over the years...i still maintain the questions on the test are a load of cobblers though -umbrela-

5. agnb

agnb New Member

yes, i heard, but its not for your g/friend, so relax.
    so do we want to live in ro - i miss it terribly.

6. motanik

motanik New Member

As of 2 April 2007, it applies to those seeking permanent residence (indefinite leave to remain) as well.

Thrifty, you can try your knowledge here: http://www.uktestonline.co.uk/

7. thrifty

thrifty New Member

Test Result
    Total Questions: 24
    Answered: 24
    Unanswered: 0
    Correct Answers: 18
    Wrong Answers: 6
    Time Taken: 4 Min & 23 Sec
    Score: 75 %
    Result: PASSED

:-??

8. mrskull

mrskull New Member

io dau testul sambata. o porcarie

-violent-

9. motanik

motanik New Member

Thrifty, they don't tell you how many points you scored and there is no mention regarding that on the letter they give you after the test. You only know if you passed or failed so if you scored the minimum 18 or the maximum 24 is just the same thing.

10. ggabriela

ggabriela New Member

guys, im having trubble undarstanding the porpose of this test so i am gonna ask this way
    i am romanian, living in uk for 6 months now, getting married to a uk citzen this autum...do i need to take this test?

i just got over the driving theory test ..i dont feel like learning for a new one

ohhh
    one more thing...for some reasons that i am not gonna mention here as i dont wana bore you with that, i passed the driving theory test here in england with 48 points out of 50 and then went to romania..before doing the practical test and went to test my theory in romania also...i wanted at one point to take my driver licence from my own country...and guess what..i FAILED with 16 points out of 26...speaking of diferences from uk and romania....its a shame for romania that a romanian citzen can pass a test in england in a language that its not its own..and not pass it in his country...i couldnt learn and undarstand the terms of the driving book in my own country...but had no problem with the english ones....cool stuff

11. motanik

motanik New Member

You only take the test if/when you apply for indefinite leave to remain or naturalization (to obtain British citizenship).

12. annie

annie New Member

Gabriela,

Well done for passig with 48 out of 50 in theory - what about practice?

As for knowledge test for immigration purposes - in my opinion everyone should go through taking this test when considering indefinite leave to reamin in UK. An interesting point I found on an website sometime ago a similar test which they were thinking to implement for foreign citizens coming to leave in UK - I downloaded the test and gave a copy to all my colleagues in the office who were all british (english) - the funny thing was that with my exception which I've scored 98% out of 100% neither one of them scored more than 70% - most questions were on british topic such as history, sociology, politics, economics, etc.

In respect of your disappointment with te Romanian authorities for failing your driving test over in Ro, I will sympathise with you - I have been driving over to Romania from UK in the last 4 years (I have never learned to drive in Romania I took my test in UK and I don't intend to get a Romanian driving licence as I see no point since I reside here in UK) and the level of driving and road safety applied in Romania is appaling, I feel ashamed on behalf of the majority who drive either under the influence or with undue care and attention and who professes to be matchos. I can never relax when I drive in Romania, because I value my life and it seems that the majority don't but if they want to kill themselves I cannot fathom why would they want to take others with them. So, chin up lovey, don't worry about failing your test in Ro, it doesn't mean anything. But if you have to take the knowledge test well, good luck and if you need help I'm sure some old veterans here will help.

13. annie

annie New Member

well done Thrifty, now do you know which were the 6 you answered wrong?

14. annie

annie New Member

I'm a bit confused - you say you're "an educated english person" yet I find your grammar and spelling rather foreign, and if you are British why on earth should you take the test?

As for "if all the uk population were to take the test my guess is over 70% would fail it -puke- sad to say but true enough..." speak for yourself there are quite a few educated British still around, we're not quite as uneducated as people make us out to be, thank you. Yes the majority of youngsters haven't got a clue what planet they live on let alone what day, but there are still out there intelectuals which prefer not to be associated with the mobs.

Annie

15. alinutza

alinutza New Member

I passed the test two months ago being married to a british citizen and applying for ILR (residency).

First I thought that the test is useless but reading the books (you have to get some studying books) I understood that is very helpfull to pass this test if you want to settle here or become a citizen. The only part I found a bit hard was learning about politics. But I passed and I wish good luck to everyone.

Ggabriela being a EU citizen now i don't know if you still have to apply for ILR (Indefinite leave to remain) I have a feeling you don't as we don't need visas anymore. If you do though you have to apply after two years of marriage and the you should take the test.

If you don't have to apply for ILR anymore then you have the right to apply for british citizenship after three years of marriage and then you have to take the test. Don't worry is piece of cake and realy usefull informations.

Annie Thrifty specified that he is going to marry a romanian girl so she would have to take the test at a certain point.

Also I don't think he ment to offend anybody regarding british nationals taking the test, on the contrary he ment that educated british may fail to pass because there is certain knowledge quite specific. And yes my husband is an educated person and failed (at home of course) to pass, i forgot witch questions he failed to answer corectly. And I should think that he is not a uniformed person.

16. dst

dst Member

The citizenship test is a joke in my opinion. I am British, and professionally I work with politicians. The majority of questions on the test are completely irrelevant to either politics or life in the UK. But then I don't have to take the test -fingernose- ingernose-

17. mrskull

mrskull New Member

I passed the test too for ILR. Even though i am an EU citizen (Romanian). Technically speaking having to pass this test is discriminative because the law stipulates clearly that EU citizens do not need to take the test. I do not want to divagate, though.

The test is moronic, 70% of the questions have no relevance for the "life in the UK" and actually British people do not know how to answer them anyway. In my case i was unable to read the book because I thought that the way it is written and illustrated is an offence to my intelligence. Therefore, I purchased an audio book and learned it by heart. It was fun. I finished the test in 4 minutes and passed. But to conclude, I consider this as completely useless.

18. alana123

alana123 New Member

Hi Annie, sorry to say but you've been a bit rude here.
    Just because thrifty doesn't bother to write English well on an online forum doesn't give you the right to assume he is illiterate... I bet he knows his language very well and indeed is well spoken in reality but he didn't think it would be important to write his language on a forum so perfectly if you know what I mean. -scratch- cratch-
    If you ever get to read any other English online forums you'll be amazed how they write their language and how abbreviated the words are but it doesn't mean all of them are illiterate and don't know how to write. Instead I believe they are in a hurry and like to get their word out quick...
    Sorry I just had to mention it. And also give poor guy a break, he is really nice to notify us about the test and he is clearly totally on our side! At least he deserves is a bit of respect and a warm welcoming from us I believe. But no hard feelings from me, I just considered I had to let you know you stepped the mark and maybe sounded a bit rude that's all.
    In other words, thanks thrifty for telling us even you find the test ridiculous. I have many English friends who think the same and totally unable to answer all the questions.
    -takecare- akecare-

19. cata246

cata246 New Member

My time for the test is approaching soon,I did try a sample following one of the links posted here on this topic,a free one,with 22 questions,it gave me 67% correct,which meant that I failed,as you said ,a lot of stupid questions.However,can you tell me please how many questions are in total,what's the pass procentage,and from where can I buy the audio book you are talking about?
    Thank you.

20. alana123

alana123 New Member

Hi cata246,
    you can find more info here http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/ but also if you just do a search in google it'll come up with lots of sites where you find info.
    I also did the taster test a few months back at the link which thrifty or someonelse gave us here and I also failed with 4 questions wrong! Silly me coz after they gave me the answers I knew them all if only I wasn't rushing at the time I gave my answers but took it more seriously.
    To me this test is degrading even so if I was to purchase the book and read it once I would find I know everything they write in there and would find the test ridiculous.
    I remember a few years back when I took my driving licence theory test in the UK, back then (6-7 years now) I had to answer correctly 30 questions out of 35 plus some quick ten minutes reaction and hazzards detecting test which was quite fun.
    I passed it 35 out of 35 plus the hazzards test, which I had to detect like 70 hazzards or more to pass, and did it all in only 10 minutes!!! Honestly, the guy in there when I got out of the room asked: are you sure you've done it all? and I said it's peanuts... he obviously had a grin on his face coz he already knew I passed and had my rezults in his hands!
    So yeah, what can I say the life test to me is degrading and boring. But good luck to you all who whish/has to take it.