20.2 C
London
Saturday, June 12, 2021
£1 = 0.00RON / €inf / $0.00

Born in Romania (now British) how do you feel?

Discussion in 'ENGLISH' started by agnb, Oct 11, 2007.

1. agnb

agnb New Member

Hi there

Anyone that has aquired British Nationality- still feels he/she/ is Romanian?
    Do you work amongst English (British) people and if so, how do you feel? Did you have to adapt (even improve) and if so, in which area?
    Do you feel inferior/ superior?
    Do you still have an accent (ie eastern european mixed with latin, as i am often told!)
    Are you proud to admit that you originate from RO, or are you avoiding the answer?

very interested to find out.

2. teroristualcolistu

teroristualcolistu New Member

Editat de moderator. Avertisment pt limbaj necorespunzator.

3. andreiutzu

andreiutzu Member

Dear agnb,

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you might be trully interested in finding out something. But except for your first question which (sorry to say so) is just silly, all the other ones are outrageously insulting.

Should you really be interested in finding out anything about anybody - you might want to reformulate your questions.

From where I stand, your questions deserve all the kinds of answers you don't want to get... and just as well I don't want to give.

Cheers,
    A.

4. octopus

octopus New Member

bine ai revenit andreiutzu! -ww-
    acum ca esti welshman "cu acte in regula" asteptam impresii de la tine :)
    heibiad , :p

5. miu

miu New Member

If this is so interesting for you I will take the time to answer. I hope you will still find it interesting after reading.

1. I am a resident, not yet a citizen.
    2. I have worked amongst English people and now I am working with English children. I didn't feel I need to improve, I felt puzzled by the way some of them were thinking. They had to adapt in pronouncing my name and I can say the results were quite funny sometime. I have given them the English way to pronounce it but I have discovered that even this was difficult for them. I felt very well working with them, I don't know how well they felt if you keep in mind all the xenophobic messages in the media they have to put up with.
    3. I felt human and that's the way everyone should feel if he/she has a small amount of common sense (cei 7 ani de acasa, cum zicem noi romanii).
    4. I don't know and I really don't care about it, as long as most of them are able to understand me.
    5. Of course I am proud to admit that I am Romanian. Is there any reason I shouldn't be proud of? An Englishman is not proud to admit he is English, even they have to put up with hooligans and chavs ( e un cuvant nou pe care l-am invatat aici in nord: council housed and violents) and with a history full of wars against other people's countries?

6. voxm

voxm New Member

hi, I am a romanian with aussie citizenship living among many other nationalities.
    I feel great to be DIFFERENT and I think it's a matter of being proud of who you are and confident in what are you doing with/in your life. It's definilety a fantastic experience.
    VoxM - -k-

7. agnb

agnb New Member

hi there.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I was interested in the answers , and less in your opinion about my answers. You can feel offended as much as you like you don?t need to answer. If I offended you ( or anybody) I apologise, these were type of questions that I would be glad to answer if someone asked me. I would never be intentionally rude or malicious, and if you find these stupid, what can I do? Luckily not everyone found them offensive and replied. Once again, I apologise if you found them offensive. None of it was meant to be! I am not at all an offensive type of person.
    Take care

8. agnb

agnb New Member

H vox m

I agree, thank you for that ( or shall i say TAK!)

9. agnb

agnb New Member

Hi MIU

Scris de tipar este raspunsul meu la ceea ce spui tu!

I didn't feel I need to improve, I felt puzzled by the way some of them were thinking. ( YEs, SAME HERE! LACK OF COMMON SENSE IF YOU ASKED ME, IF THEY " DONT TICK BOXES" THEY DONT FEEL THEY DO THE JOB RIGHT(they often can not think outside the box).
    They had to adapt in pronouncing my name and I can say the results were quite funny sometime. MY SURNAME IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PRONOUNCE, SO YES, I HAD A FEW LAUGHS TOO.
    I felt human and that's the way everyone should feel if he/she has a small amount of common sense (cei 7 ani de acasa, cum zicem noi romanii). INDEED!
    5. Of course I am proud to admit that I am Romanian. Is there any reason I shouldn't be proud of? ABSOLUTELY NOT! SAME HERE, ALTHOUGH THEY ALL ASK ME IF I WAS ITALIAN, SPANISH, FRENCH OR GREEK!
    An Englishman is not proud to admit he is English, even they have to put up with hooligans and chavs ( e un cuvant nou pe care l-am invatat aici in nord: council housed and violents) and with a history full of wars against other people's countries? YES, I KNOW, CHAVS CAN ALSO BE QUITE INTIMIDATING TOO...

Mersi mult de tot.
    x

10. andreiutzu

andreiutzu Member

And this is why I said your questions are insulting:

Because you talk about feelings - whatever you feel about your identity is not in a passport, a visa, or a British ID for that matter. You can adhere to a culture or an identity regardless of what citizenship you have or you are granted.

There's a suggestion in my earlier post (REFORMULATE), and an example below.

Maybe the use of "even improve" in unnecessary. If someone was amazed by the high level of proficiency they found in the UK they would have figured out for themselves that this is where they should mention it. The high professional standard in many working environments in the UK is due to the work of highly qualified people from around the world (Americans, Spanish, French, Germans, etc.) So it's not just the English (British) people.

After the Nazi experience nobody is inferior and superior anymore. There are however better qualified people - higher educated - better equipped or skilled for a job or another - and so on.

I won't insist too much on the accent thing, because there's less harm here. British people probably see European accents in the same way Europeans, Americans and others see British accents and mispronunciations.

The use of "admit" and the alternative to admitting - "avoiding the answer" was quite insulting.
    Admit has a negative connotation ("acknowledge; confess usually a fault, crime, misdeed, weakness, etc."). And most of the times you would be avoiding things, you would be avoiding the negative ones, wouldn't you? What in the world would that have to do with "originating from Romania". Tendentious again.

My suggestion was to simply try and REFORMULATE your questions.

If I understand correctly, what you wanted to find out was:

1. In what way has your British citizenship (or experience in the UK) changed who you are as an individual?
    Even this sounds a bit silly to me. But again, to expect somebody to say "I'm not a Romanian anymore. But I was until yesterday." is not very intuitive. Rarely do people change in such a deep way. And when it happens, it has a lot to do with what they think, and not with what they have (may that be a British citizenship or not)

2. Has your work experience in Britain required you to develop new skills or change anything about the way you work? What were these changes?

3. Do you think these changes helped you improve in any way?

4. The accent... no comments

5. Are you proud to say you are a Romanian?
    I don't find this insulting at all. But throw in an "admit" and help me with a presumably better choice ("avoiding the answer") and you make me angry... :)

Now I'm sure most of the people that already answered your questions would have given you the same answer to the reformulated questions. Moreover, me and all those that felt insulted (and voiced their opinion or simply considered that the subject wasn't worthed, and moved on) would have found your topic friendlier and not insulting.

Now to these reformulated questions, if you still care, I can give you an answer as well -tongue-:

1. I'm not a citizen, but I have come to UK, in part, to change some things about who I am and to try to get closer to the person I want to be. I'm not saying that I want to be a Brit, but there are things to learn from all cultures - and I try to change myself when I see something I like and feel I need. I do that every time I discover a new culture. And the fact that I allowed 3 years of my life to work on some things about myself in Britain, says something.

2. Any work environment forces you to adapt and become more versatile, and that in itself is a skill. Moreover, I'm doing a degree in the UK, so hopefully I should improve many things about myself.

3. Definitely should be an improvement (otherwise I would be wasting my time)

4. A couple of weeks after arriving here and spending most of my time with Brits I found myself copying a lot of their way of speaking. But when I woke up, I realized they were understanding me better than I understood myself... :)) I mean I really didn't like the way I was beginning to speak. Anyway, I'm currently trying to get back to the clean / slightly American accent I had before. I like it much better. And it's easier for everybody to understand me this way (Brits and non-Brits).

5. No. I'm not necessarily proud. I'm not ashamed either. I'm neutral. But I don't think there's any reason in the world I should avoid saying it. (Except when my life/ personal security is at risk. But that only happens when I'm dealing with racist or xenophobic people. And there are special ways to deal with these situations. Happily they don't happen too often to me.)

PS: I respect your questions and interest. And I believe you never meant to insult anybody. But please accept these explanation for why I felt your questions could have been interpreted as a bit of an insult. It was probably just the wording and my being in one of those moods. But I think the little reformulations make your questions neutral and much friendlier for anybody to answer ... may that be just for those in the wrong moods. :p

Cheers!
    A.

Editat de moderator - pentru a exprima mai bine ideile (si a le mai ajusta putin dupa cateva consulatari, meditari si edificari pe aceasta tema... :p )

11. annomundi

annomundi New Member

Q: Anyone that has aquired British Nationality- still feels he/she/ is Romanian?
    A: Nu pot avea alta nationalitate decat cea romana. Nationalitatea e aia cu care te nasti, la fel ca si etnia ... In orice caz, de simtit ma simt doar bine sau rau. De data asta ma simt bine.

Q: Do you work amongst English (British) people and if so, how do you feel? Did you have to adapt (even improve) and if so, in which area?

A: Da, lucrez printre britanici si multe alte nationalitati, dar majoritatea britanici (normal,nu). Singurul lucru la care a trebuit sa ma adaptez este fusul orar.

Q: Do you feel inferior/ superior?
    A: Nici una, nici alta.

Q: a) Do you still have an accent (ie eastern european mixed with latin, as i am often told!)
    b) Are you proud to admit that you originate from RO, or are you avoiding the answer?

A: a) Da, normal ca am accent ... chiar si englezii au accent. Nush ce sens are intrebarea asta ...
    b) Nici nu ma bat cu pumnul in piept ca sunt roman si nici nu evit raspunsul ... cand sunt intrebat,raspund.

12. spin

spin New Member

Nationalitatea ti-o poti schimba (e un principiu administrativ care reflecta tara in care locuiesti si al carei cetatean esti din pdv legal), etnia nu (intr-adevar te nasti intr-o etnie, care reflecta istoricul etnic al familiei din care provii, si care nu se poate schimba orice-ai face) :p

13. agnb

agnb New Member

Q: Anyone that has aquired British Nationality- still feels he/she/ is Romanian?
    A: Nu pot avea alta nationalitate decat cea romana. Nationalitatea e aia cu care te nasti, la fel ca si etnia ... In orice caz, de simtit ma simt doar bine sau rau. De data asta ma simt bine.

Cred ca e greseala mea - when i say " nationality" i always reffer to the type of passport - which in itslef conferrs natinality ( ie I am Rom but with Brit Nationality). So, in essence, is not wrong, however i should have said probably " British Citisenship" - maybe that would have made it clearer. I work with a lot of foreign nationals and its a " frase " we use.
    Ma bucur ca te simti bine in etnia ta, si eu, de altfel. Eu nu calatoresc in Ro cu pasaport Brit, ci doar cu cel Romanesc.

Nationalitatea ti-o poti schimba (e un principiu administrativ care reflecta tara in care locuiesti si al carei cetatean esti din pdv legal), etnia nu (intr-adevar te nasti intr-o etnie, care reflecta istoricul etnic al familiei din care provii, si care nu se poate schimba orice-ai face)

Agreed! Thank you and i apologise if you feel offended by any of my questions ( just like some of the forum users). They were innocently asked. I am rubbish at offending purposely anyone.

14. agnb

agnb New Member

Anno Mundi, hi!

A: Nu pot avea alta nationalitate decat cea romana. Da, asa cum am explicat si inainte este o fraza folosita cumva corect. I should have used the term " citisenship".

A: Da, lucrez printre britanici si multe alte nationalitati, dar majoritatea britanici (normal,nu). Singurul lucru la care a trebuit sa ma adaptez este fusul orar. Wow, lucky you! Mie mi-a trebuit putin mai mult sa ma adaptez - si nu am avut probleme cu fusul orar- cred ca mesajul tau a fost putin sarcastic?

Q: Do you feel inferior/ superior?
    A: Nici una, nici alta.
    La fel si cu mine, dar depinde in ce situatie ma aflu.

Q: a) Do you still have an accent

Da, normal ca am accent ... chiar si englezii au accent.
    Accentul englezilor provine de zona din care sint ( ie scotish, welsh, london) dar eu nu ma refer la acela. Ci accentul deosebit pe care-l avem, si care-i fac pe oameni sa te -ntrebe " where is your accent from? I cant place it" Daca nu esti intrebat aceasta in fiecare zi, come and work with me! Deci intrebarea are sens.

Mersi anyway!

15. classicalina

classicalina New Member

Si apropo de accent :) Noi avem cel mai frumos acent dintre toti imigrantii. Iubitul meu spune ca vorbesc ce femeile ce apar in filmele cu james bond :) .

16. agnb

agnb New Member

ClassicAlina

17. annomundi

annomundi New Member

Postul asta nu-i asa important, dar m-am uitat de curiozitate in dictionar sa vad la ce anume se refera nationalitatea si din cauza ca in dictionar era destul de confuz, am ajuns la un link care defineste nationalitatea din punctul de vedere al dreptului ... cica sunt doua moduri dupa care se defineste nationalitatea :

"dreptul stramosesc si dreptul pamintean"

Dreptul stramosesc defineste nationalitatea dupa stramosii fiecarui cetatean: oricine are stramosi nemti, sau rusi, va fi socotit respectiv neamt sau rus indiferent de tara unde traieste, de limba pe care o vorbeste, de pasaportul pe care il are.

Dreptul pamintean defineste nationalitatea dupa pasaportul fiecarui cetatean : oricine are acte germane sau austriece este German sau Austriac, oricine are acte rusesti este Rus, indiferent de stramosii, limba sau credintele sale.

Am mai invatzat ceva, dar la care sa ne referim ? 8-}

18. annomundi

annomundi New Member

19. agnb

agnb New Member

Quote ..Habar n-am avut ce inseamna "adaptare", nu am simtit niciodata ca ar trebui sa ma adaptez. Daca este vreun aspect la care te referi in mod special .... zi-mi.

Hm, ma referam exact la acel cuvint " adaptare" " acomodare" " getting used to" , whatever! Ma intreb oare in ce domeniu lucrezi? (apropo nu trebuie sa-mi spui)

Quote ...Nu am "strong accent" si nici nu sunt intrebat in fiecare zi ... dar asta probabil din politetzea binecunoscuta.

Ineamna ca nu ti s-a intimplat sa fi intrebat, dar eu vorbesc cu multi oameni pe zi, si sint deseori intrebata. Chiar si din politete, de curiozitate, sau de pur si simplu faptul ca nu se asteapta sa le vorbesc cu " non english accent" . Dar in principiu ma intreaba daca sint spanish, french, or italian?
    vino sa lucrezi cu mine, o sa te saturi de ei! (am glumit numai, dar adevarul este ca este tiring)

20. annomundi

annomundi New Member

1. Da-mi un exemplu de nevoie de adaptare in cazul tau, pentru ca legat de mine, nu imi dau seama. Care sunt punctele in care tu ai simtit ca trebuie sa schimbi ceva ?

2. IT