24.2 C
London
Monday, June 01, 2020
£1 = 0.00RON / €inf / $0.00

What attracts you to the uk?

Discussion in 'ENGLISH' started by Douglas, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Douglas

Douglas New Member

The apple that fell should recive praise ... not the scientist sleeping under the tree . -ras2- -ras2- -ras2-[/quote]

Haha, my fiend says his grandparents are from Eastern Europe his surname is scharlotte is that an Eastern European name?

2. underdog

underdog New Member

Haha, my fiend says his grandparents are from Eastern Europe his surname is scharlotte is that an Eastern European name?[/quote]

Hardly ... probably not .

3. dromaderu

dromaderu Active Member

4. Diana22

Diana22 New Member

Quite funny...I don't believe this unfortunately.I think someone is just "taking a mickey" :)

5. Douglas

Douglas New Member

I remember seeing someone saying that people in here shouldn't speak engkish because they don't want to forget about their own language.

Well I really don't have a problem with that but that's how people on my country think as well we think if you don't speak English then how can you integrate lol do you integrate well with us. Also this song is probably one of the most important to us.

Since I have no idea how to post a link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FawMg0NXpg

6. bogdan84

bogdan84 New Member

Software Engineer
    I was the one saying that @Douglas but wasn't on a serious note, of course I won't forget my own language. Even still, I think using English on this forum won't help integrating in the society. It rather comes down to one's behaviour outside the forum, whether they mix with other nationalities or stick to their Romanian friends.

You may be surprised but a lot of Britons in Australia haven't integrated in the Aussie society, despite speaking the same language, simply because they move to suburbs with a high concentration of British expats, hang out with fellow Britons, still watch British channels and, after years of living there, they still have no Aussie friends. I've seen that a lot.

What I am trying to demonstrate is that integration has less to do with what language we use when chatting to other Romanians but more with the way we go about our day to day lives as individuals in the English society.

Just out of interest, does anyone on this forum play cricket? :)

7. rebecca_uk

rebecca_uk Active Member

Home Page:
    Hi, Douglas,

That is not true. Most Romanians do speak English and make themselves understood.
    Nor is this article. It's all about politics and the inflamation it is meant to bring about. It fosters unjustified hatred.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -show.html

And, yes, without this forum, some of us would forget the mother tongue, especially the ones working day in, day out (and living) with English speakers.(once you don't use something, the human natural tendency is to forget it).

8. catad

catad Active Member

money, money, money,
    must be(for sure it is) funny...
    vorba celor de la ABBA.

9. Seb123

Seb123 New Member

Had the English kept their culture, language and music, and not least, their humanist values to themselves, this would have been a valid question. But since they hadn't, I won't even bother with a too obvious answer :)

10. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Ok so are you saying that our culture is a world wide culture?

11. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Maybe Seb123 doesn't like the multiculturalism and he likes UK only because he has a better job here.
    Or, as you said, your culture (music, language, values) can be accessed almost everywhere.

12. ab5174

ab5174 New Member

Invented ????? -ras2-

Issac Newton discovered gravity.

Newton = 'We the british' ??????

13. Seb123

Seb123 New Member

I had the feeling my post may be too obscure :) And I have no idea how I might have given rise to the suspicion that I oppose the all-shining multiculturalism.

What I was trying to say is that English culture is very seductive; though it may not necessarily be world-wide as in universalistic, it certainly is penetrating. If you wish, a local culture so powerful that it had become universal. How many trends have come from the UK, and how many people (and how many teenagers), in how many places and how many periods of time had it affected? And through language it has become even more accessible and penetrating. In short, one of the most loved and well known and respected countries in the world. From this points of view, it may be a little redundant to ask what attracts others to the UK.

As for me, what counts the most is the place and the people themselves. Your overall country branding, if I may say so, has irrevocably gotten to me. I'm still in Romania, but plan to come here in a few months' time. What I expect is not necessarily an increase in life quality (though it will be) but in life style. Those that earnestly say they are here just for the jobs and the money should think again. Would they move to, say Saudi Arabia, if they'd be paid better there? To get a little academic, a recent UN study has come to the conclusion that the main driver for worldwide migration is not economics but to escape an irksome (their exact word) local culture. And I know most of the people here can relate to that. I don't mind being poor in the UK as opposed to being middle-class home (and I'm not talking about money here). It's about being part of a better (avoid the word "superior") culture, even as an outsider.

I'm sorry if my answer may border on the wrong side of political correctness, indeed it has become excessive. So, what attracts me and many others to the UK: the answer is you, and the great job that you have done.

(Note: I don't intend to criticise my native culture by this, so please don't jump all over me. I'm just saying it is a mediocre, average one, like the majority, as opposed to a "better" one. Shoot away :)

14. underdog

underdog New Member

The gravity ... discovered Issac Newton's head . Give the credit to the Apple that falls .

15. IVAN__V

IVAN__V Member

Survivor.......of countless world ends.
    What attracted me to the UK and more specifically to North Shields ;) ?
    Came for tesco's extra creamy potato salad
    Stayed for british girls and fish&chips...my life is now complete.
    Also i like british food like pizza and chinese.

16. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Member

Gasser
    Si mie mi-a placut Turnul Eiffel din Amsterdam.

17. dromaderu

dromaderu Active Member

-bravo- -bravo- -ras2-

18. cmircea

cmircea New Member

Home Page:
    If I knew UKBA would keep my passport for 8 months to get a registration certificate, I would have applied twice :) (sorry :p )
    Leaving the jokes aside, you might like Romania better ... http://whydontyoucomeover.gandul.info/

19. Raul Alex

Raul Alex New Member

Douglas, i think u mean the statue of Decebal. We could say that is one of the most beautiful places in Romania, at least over the Danube. My parents are living right there in a small village at about 5 kilometeres from the Decebal statue. So anytime you will consider visiting that part of Romania we could help you with more information about it.

20. motherofinvention

motherofinvention New Member

@ douglas

what attracts me to the UK:

the massive c**ks of the scotsmen and northern irishmen, unlike the englishmens